Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day Two

Had a pretty good day today, compared to a crappy last night.  I just couldn't sleep longer than 2 hours at a time last night because I was sleeping sitting up, and I'm a side sleeper.  Had to pee about 4am, and they brought in a bed pan-nooo, then a potty chair-noooo, so up I got and walked to the bathroom.  Being up felt sooooo goooood.  And once I was up walking around-my calf squeezer's got to come off!


Dr Wittek-one of Dr Failing's partners, came by this morning, and looked at my drains-3 in all-and the bandages over my incisions and said they all look great.  My incisions are closed with staples, to help with nicer scarring, and because of those and the drains-no shower til they both come out-which will be on Friday.  But since I can't raise my arms up over my head, not being able to shower and wash my hair doesn't really matter.  Now I need volunteers to come over and help me do that this week, cause you should have seen me with my 3 drains, IV pole and unable to bend over forward and Brian with his one arm trying to get my pajama pants on me this morning!  Quite a sight we were!

I'm doing pretty well, still on my pain pump, but will get switched over to oral pain meds tomorrow to go home.  Brian is doing better every day, I just feel so bad for him, with his one arm, he tries to help me with everything and can't.  He slept in a reclincer in my room last night, and though he's been sleeping upright for 10 days,  last night was kinda rough on him.  I told him to go home tonight and get some sleep, but he's kinda stubborn like me, and loves me just a little-so he's here! 

Ethan is still at the Mercy.  He has some type of blood infection-possibly staph-because his blood cultures are already showing gram positive at 24 hour prelim.  My sisters Kate and Kim were down there last night, and my Dad and Teresa most of today.  Kate is staying again tonight, and my Dad is staying tomorrow night.  Ethan is still spiking fevers, and they want to hold off on Tylenol and Ibuprofen to see how high he goes now that they know he has some type of infection brewing.   They are starting him on some oxy for the pain he's in.  What really sucks, is that as long as he's got something like Staph-I can't even go down and see him, because I can't afford to get any type of infection right now.  My heart is breaking.

Hailey had a volleyball tourney in Topeka today-and they took 3rd!  Woo-hoo girls!  Awesome job!  She was a bit overwhelmed yesterday with me being here, Ethan getting sick and Brian being incapacitated, and her emotions got the best of her for a little while.  Thank you Carissa for letting her cry on your shoulder!  She thought about staying home from her tourney today-but we all encouraged her to go-that she needed to go and keep a normal routine as possible, and I'm sure she is glad now that she did!  Thanks Janning family for taking care of getting her there-and all her VB family for taking care of her while there! 

Parker had some mixed emotions last night and today too, he just isn't quite sure what all is going on, and felt terrible about Ethan being sick.  He went with Trevor and the boys today to basketball games and to hang out, and I know that helped.  He then came down and saw me for a while and we had some good bonding time.  Phil took him to his basketball game tonight-which they lost-but he scored two baskets!  Dammit-of course at the game I'm not at!  Thanks Phil for taking him and watching his game! 

Thanks to all my visitors last night and today!  Thanks Lindsey and Brad for the flowers-they are gorgeous.  And my KCPDFF girls for the Cup O' Courage-love it!  Jeanne-my girl from the hospital gift shop-I love the soft puppy and balloon!  Rachel-you know the way to my heart with the candy bouquets!  Heather-the plaques make me smile and I know exactly where they are going in my house.  Colette-thanks for the latest smut mags and M&M's-and the pink rose bush smells fabulous in my hospital room-can't wait to get it home and planted!  Andrea and Troy-thanks for the choco shake-it hit the spot and thanks Andi for combing my hair and making it 'pretty'-HA!!  Thank you Tricia for coming by-I got you on my schedule this week for sure.  And a big thanks to Beckie and Steve for coming by to visit and making me laugh! 

Mom and Parker are headed down to see the bald kid tonight for a while, and Brian and I are laughing our butts off watching "The Bad Teacher" -hilarious!  Cameron Diaz is even more funny while I'm on Dilaudid!  I figured out how to get on my side to sleep tonight, so I'm hoping for some better zzzz's.  Oh, and I have a fabulous night nurse.  Funny how my day nurse never measured my urine, checked my drains, listened to my heart or lungs, checked my pulses or cap refill or anything, and that's the first thing my night one did?????  And don't even ask about the fake poly-fill boob camisole she brought me in today that is absolutely terrible looking and even worse fitting.  I am sooooo designing some new products for post-mastectomy patients.  As if having no boobs isn't bad enough-this thing they want me to put on one day post-op would damn near make me suicidal!  Oh, that and what the Nurse Navigator said to me 30 minutes before my surgery that was compeletely inappropriate.  I'm hoping that maybe once I'm not medicated I can tell someone just how inappropriate it was, but not sure I would sound too credible right now slurring my words.  I'm just hoping my day nurse tomorrow gets it together enough to care about sending me home with the proper info on my drains and what not, or I'll be staying til someone does.....

enough bitching, time to hit my magic button!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about you! Sorry to hear you had a crappy nurse...maybe she should find a new profession. Wish I was there to take care of you myself! Sending happy thoughts and prayers for both you and Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Who knew that floor was like that. Glad to see ur doing good. I'll come over Thursday morning and help u with washing hair and whatever.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete