Thursday, March 15, 2012

Of course I look great....

I've been pretty social in the last few days, couple of dr appts, friends coming by, walking in the neighborhood,  trip to the pizza place and the liquor store, stopped by the Rad dept today.  After the "how are yous?" and the hugs, the statement I have heard a lot of lately is-"You look great!" 
So, either I really looked bad before, or everyone expected me to look soooo bad after surgery-and I really just look normal that they think I look great.  My response?  Thanks-and of course I look good, I'm not dead, and I'm just pretty f*#$*ing amazing!  Just kidding.  I appreciate the compliments, they really make me feel like less of a freak. 
But I am amazing.

Today I got 2 of the 3 drains out-both on my right are gone!  Left one still there-think it's coming out Friday though.  AND all of my staples came out.  I can't *really* shower yet, but if I would like to (and man would I like to!)  I can cover my drain side with tegaderm and as long as I don't let the water pour directly on that area-I can shower!  My incisions look good-or so everyone says, I haven't had the nerve to actually look at them yet, other than looking down at my chest.  I can't bring myself to look at them in the mirror.  Someday.

My right arm is somewhat still numb in my armpit and on the underside.  Dr Failing says it could be this way for 3-6 months since all my lymph nodes on that side are gone.  But in time those nerves will re-route themselves and eventually sensation will come back. 
My only restrictions for now are no heavy lifting, and if I do lift something to not support it against my chest.  Still no lifting the bald kid-but I can drive-as long as I'm not taking my pain meds-and I'm down to only one yesterday-and none today!!!  That's not to say I'm not still living on Tylenol and Ibuprofen. 

Thursday 3/15 I go to the Cancer Center for an echocardiogram-or ultrasound of the heart.  Some chemo drugs are very hard on the heart, and they need a baseline to make sure my ticker can handle it. 

Friday 3/16 I am going to have my port-a-cath placed at NKCH.  This will be done in Interventional Radiology, so just some feel-good drugs and some numbing stuff -no anesthesia.

Next Tuesday 3/20 I am back at the Cancer Center for my hour long chemo education appointment where I will learn all about the toxic drugs they are going to pump into my body to kill off any remaining cancer cells that think they might want to linger.  I will also learn about all the potential side effects, and the drugs they will use to counteract those.  I will also schedule my first chemo appointment on this day.  Woo-hoo can't wait!

We are really enjoying having the older kids home this week-Hailey got her driver's permit on Monday-seriously-I'm not that old am I???  So Brian took her driving around the mall parking lot this afternoon.  She did well, still a little heavy-footed on the corner turns, and not so great at backing up-but then again she is driving a huge Suburban, so all in all-not too shabby! 
Parker has been connected to his Playstation all week, so much so that he often forgets to eat lunch.  Seriously?  And when I do make him get off of it he huffs and pouts around the house like a crackhead going through withdrawl.   He might just go completely bat-crap crazy when I tell him it gets put up on Sunday again til school is out.   I may have to hide it while he's sleeping and break a window or something and try to convince him someone broke in and stole it. 
The bald kid?  Back to his crazy self!  Thank goodness!  Been at school all week and loving it.  Going to bed at a pretty normal time-though he did decide to wake up at 4:30am Monday morning and talk to all of us for an hour.  Otherwise he's been happy.  And our motto-when Ethan's happy....everyone's happy! 

Hitting the sack now-and finally getting to sleep on my right side.

cause I'm amazing.

4 comments:

  1. You are so Amazing. I have been sending prayers your way all along. not just for you but also for the bald man and Brian. Sending love and prayer for Hayley's driving, my Son also got his permit this week so i have been out driving with him. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly amazing! You are an inspiration to a lot of people. You have shown me over the years just how strong I can and should be. We lift you in prayers everyday! God has you in His hands and will never leave your side! Love you!

    Love Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you are amazing!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU ARE AMAZING!
    YOU ARE AMAZING!
    YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete