Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gypsy or JT?

Since shaving my head last week, I've been experimenting with some new looks.....

The Gypsy look?

The Justin Timberlake?

I'm not sure which I like better yet.  Still playing around, these are just some wigs I had at home already-neither of which the kids would let me go out in public in.  I'm definitely not spending too much time without something on my head, cause it's amazing how cold you get with no hair on your melon.  The first night I was hairless I slept with a stocking cap on my head!  My ears get cold too, even with a scarf or hat on! 

A big thanks to my friend Andrea who shaved my head!  Love you bestie! 

before the shave off

Andrea and her sister Benja have been acquiring hats from all over the country for me to wear!  I have some darn cool ones from Michigan-thanks Mrs Williams and Colette's sis!  From Colorado, Washington and even a cute one with a moose on it from Montana! 
A friend and I are going wig shopping in a couple of weeks.  I figure I need at least one cute one to wear should the occasion arise that a hat with moose on it, my gypsy or JT wig, or a scarf don't quite cut it.  Though the bald look is ok, as I mentioned above, my noggin gets pretty chilly in this weather. 
The scarf look does afford me some perks though.  At the movie the other night I was able to substitute an icee for a soda when it was clearly marked 'no drink substitutions'.  And the sweet little boy at the concession counter even mixed mine to order-coke and wild cherry.  The lady after me wasn't very happy when he told her no.  This cancer bs ought to get me some perks right? 

My counts were finally ok enough to go to work this week! Yeah!  I worked an 8 hour day shift on Monday and am working tomorrow (Wednesday) too.  I was really worried that this Friday is payday, and I know I had no more PTO left, so things were gonna be a little tight around here.  So you can imagine my surprise when I got to work yesterday and checked my 6 week old email account to find that the awesome, kind people I work with have again donated hours of their PTO to my account!  Looks like the hot dog and ramen noodle menu can be replaced with some chicken and hamburgers!  I don't get emails with who donated time, so I can't thank everyone individually and personally, but please know you make my heart warm and are making this journey much less stressful for us!

Work was good, felt great to be a productive member of society again-even if it was only for 8 hours!  It didn't wear me out too terribly bad, I didn't even yawn until the last 7 minutes of my shift! I got lots of hugs and smiles and words of encouragement and support from all my co-workers.   I got home and seriously thought about taking a nap, but didn't want to sleep all day today knowing I had to get some sleep for work on Wednesday.  I did, however, change into my jammies at 5pm and plant myself comfortably on the couch and watched "We bought a Zoo" with the fam before heading to bed at 11 with my bedtime fave "Big Bang Theory"!  I am grateful and blessed to have a job that is willing to work with me through this!  Thanks again, NKCH!!


The bald kid showing his support with my stocking cap made just for me by the sis of a former CMH co-worker!  Thanks Bobbi-I've been wearing it with all these cool nights!  I can't wait til winter, cause she makes some awesome kids hats and having another bald person in this household-I'll need some new ones!  Check her out on facebook at Lil Monster Threads!


But like my bestie Carissa was hoping-my head is at least a nice shape-unlike a football, or mail slot or crater.  The bald kid still pulls it off much better though! 




Most often you will see me sporting a scarf.  This is me and my gorgeous little sister Kate.  And here's my plug for that lime green bracelet on her arm.  Kate had a golf ball size area cut out from behind her knee that had been a mole removed which came back positive for melanoma.  She turned 30 the day before this pic was taken-which was last week!  Thank goodness of the four moles she had cut out, only one was truly melanoma, but one other had 'atypical' cells.  Please, please, please wear your sunscreen, get your moles checked, and stay out of the tanning beds!  I was a sun worshipper for years, including loving my 30 minute naps in the tanning beds at Sarah's Flowers-for my Dotte peeps-covering myself in Crisco and baby oil and laying out on those silver mats!  My vanity stopped me from getting a ton of sun on my face a few years ago when a sun spot popped up on my right cheek (face cheek not ass cheek) and with more sun-got bigger and bigger.  So now I slather on the moisturizer with sunscreen, sunscreen, wear hats and
AVOID THE TANNING BEDS!! 

 'Our beds filter out the 'bad' rays' bullshit.

Spray is the way-that is until they determine the overspray we inhale causes lung cancer??!!?!?

 Until then, I'm happy with my pasty white skin-minus melanoma-and an occassional spray for special events!

Gotta get some zzz's.  Got another 8 hours to work tomorrow!

oh, and 19 day countdown to Disney!!





3 comments:

  1. I say the JT wig is the one! Truth - I love the bald look, as usual you can see your life, your beauty and your spirit all in those beautiful eyes of yours that SPARKLE. That's what I noticed first, not the hair so do what you feel most comfortable doing from day to day even if it is the JT or gypsy wig :-) It is such a SMALL world, the bracelet your sis is wearing is in honor of my niece Makenzie. She is Dave's stepbrother's daughter who is battling melanoma. When I saw that your sister and they were all friends I was shocked as to the connection. I will add her to my prayers and hope that they are able to get all of hers with the biopsies. I go every year for my body mapping after having skin cancer years ago. You know how white the Murphy family was/is. Skin cancer took my dad from me and I am a big sunscreen pusher!!! God bless you and your family girl!!! I will get with everyone and when you get back from Florida lets plan our Schlagle get together. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look FAB honey!!! Hope you all have an amazing time in Disney, God knows you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete