Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Let's get Physical, physical. I wanna get physical!

Since I'm going to share my current journey of suffering and pain for the whole world to read, know that I am also going to be perfectly frank about all of it-good and bad.  Because I, for one, am usually pretty frank, if nothing else, so why change now I figure???

I am going to a personal trainer to lose weight and get in shape.
(that was weird even typing it-it kinda felt like a confession-but since I haven't visited a confessional since prior to Ethan's baptism, probably not an appropriate comparision-THAT story is a whole other blog about religious issues and what-not, so moving forward....)

It's time, it's been time, it's past time, whatever I can say that basically conveys there's no time like the present!

It all started with my friend Brandi-the wonderful photographer who has taken the gorgeous pictures of my children and our family for the past few years.  Brandi was introduced to a personal trainer through a friend and client, began going to him, and I have followed her journey since January. 
I watched her sit at our KCPDFF meetings with her bottle of water and Crystal Light mix-in, while I sat there with my pizza and beer and thought 'poor girl'. 
I guzzled mexican food and beer at our annual holiday party and watched as Brandi arrived late to avoid wanting to eat any of the awesome food we were having, instead eating her chicken and green beans before coming over. 
I worked with her at a sale in some cute-ass, skinny-ass jeans, as I snarfed down McDonalds and a big 'ole Coke(it was noon-a little early and inappropriate location for beer being as we were at the Police Academy, or I probably would have had one) 
And 5 months later, I saw her pictures on her facebook profile, and WOW!!!  Brandi has always been beautiful, inside and out, but boy did she look like one hot Mommma now!!  (and yes, I spelled Momma with 3 m's cause she deserves the extra one!)  Let's just say I became ever so slightly jealous.....as I stabbed a pin in the arm of the blond, skinny voo-doo doll I had under my bed named, ummm, Randi.....(just kidding, really. maybe. mostly kidding)

So, I decided to do something about my jealousy-make it a productive jealousy, envy myself skinny.  Doesn't work quite like that I figured out. 
I gave up Coke (for like a day) 
I told myself Brandi was too skinny(yeah, like I want to be!)
I began eating more chicken (chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken pizza)
I told myself I could never give up beer(or wine, or Vegas Bombs, or alcohol in general)
I switched from Miller Lite to MGD 64(saving myself 33 calories per beer!)
I climbed up and down a few flights of stairs at work with Allison(and actually thought I might die in a dark, dirty hospital stairwell)
Brian and I got a gym membership (only works if you actually drag your ass out of bed and GO THERE!)

I started going to the gym 3 times a week religiously (and if you read my 'confession' above, you can probably tell how religion and I work out...)
BUT, I did do cardio-45-60 minutes a day, and I lost 8 lbs!  Then I would go to work and get me a big 32oz refill of Coke and stop by the vending machine for some chocolate donuts 3 times a week, and those 8lbs came and went weekly. 

Then vacation was upon us-our family trip to Florida! 
Disney-where I wore capri pants and short sleeve shirts in 97degree weather.
The Beach-where I had my plus-size, one piece swimsuit on under capri pants that I would never have taken off in a public place. 

We got home from vacation, and I found out another friend and fellow PD wife was also going to a trainer at the same gym Brandi went to(Andrea you look great girl!) and I was doubly jealous.
THEN, I was chatting with another friend on my way to work one Monday afternoon, and she told me she was starting HER 12 week transformation the following week(Jenn-you get it girl!) and as soon as she and I got off the phone I called Brian crying.  And I'm not a cryer, feel sorry for myself kinda girl.  I'm a 'do it' kinda girl, and it was waaaayyy past doin' it time! 
So, I picked Brandi's brain the next time I saw her.
She laughed and said she had been waiting for me to take the leap!  She gave me some accurate info, gave me the name of a trainer in her gym that she thought would be a good fit for me, she encouraged me to contact them right away, and she hugged me and told me she knew I could do it!
I spent hours on the phone with Brian that night while he was at work, we crunched numbers, we looked at schedules and 3 days later on our way to Costco I shot a FB message to Brandi's trainer Micah Lacerte at Hitch Fit Gym.  He responded in about a minute and a half-oh shit, the first step was taken, no turning back now!  
The trainer I was asking about had a pretty full schedule, but he would forward my info on to him and I would hear back from him that day.  I'm a deal maker-mostly with myself.  And the deal I made was
"if I hear from him tonight, it was meant to be and I'm all in.  If I don't hear from him tonight, and he waits until tomorrow to call, I won't answer any calls on my cell from numbers I don't recognize.  I can snake out and pretend he had no openings, I must have just had a brain fart thinking I could do this, oh, well!"
Well, he called.... 
That night.

AND he had openings.....
THE NEXT DAY!

HE is James Hanton, personal trainer extraordinare-or at least that's what I'll call him since he is actually willing to take me on as a client!
I was nervous as hell to go down to the gym to meet him for our first sesssion.
I even put on my good underwear.  Who the fuck does that???  Not like he was going to see it!?!!?? 
What the hell is wrong with me???
I called Jenn-where do I park?  where do I go in the gym at?  do I take a towel, water?  do I take my purse in?  Did you wear a sports bra for your before pic?  Did they let you put your t-shirt back on after the pic-or did you work out in your sports bra???
In the parking lot-duh.
In the door marked 'Hitch Fit Gym Entrance'-duh, again.
Newbie herself-didn't know yet.
Ummm, of course-you are in a shady neighborhood.
Yep-wear that sports bra proudly and let it allllll hang out for that lovely before pic.
Most definitely-the t-shirt goes back on prior to work-out.  whew!
Check, I was ready. 

I walked in to Hitch Fit(with my purse) and met James!  Instantly loved him!  We chatted for a few minutes, talked about payment, schedules, menu, etc.  then did the dirty deed-weight, measurements and picture.
Here's the frank part:
weight: 195 lbs 
I've shocked a few people with that one!  but you don't look like you weigh that much-you carry it well!
Well, let me tell you, I've been carrying it for about 6 years now, and I'd really like a lot less body baggage.
BMI: 44.4%
those numbers spare me from the 'morbid obesity, very high risk' category by less than a percent.  I'm actually in the 'severely overweight, high risk category'
Picture:
Ha-ha! Thought you were gonna get to see that huh?  Well, you're gonna have to wait until I have an "after" picture to post beside it!

Down to the nitty-gritty we got that day.  Lower body work out.  Yep, James kicked my ass-with my own weak legs, and fat body.
And I went back for more the next day!  Upper body-again kicked my ass with my own weak arms and fat body. 
And I loved it!

I have seen James for 3 sessions now-2 per week.  With cardio 7 days a week, and a diet from hell or a shitty women's prison whichever you compare monotonous, bland food day after day to.

And when I got on the scale this morning I weighed 188lbs!  That is 13 lbs down from 2 weeks ago yesterday and 6 lbs down in a week!
Rock the f*%!k on!!!

I haven't had a coke(or a taco, or a piece of pizza, or one of the brownies my daughter brought home from Topeka) in 9 days.
And I've lived! 

My wonderful husband is doing the diet with me, and so are the kids-by default since neither have jobs or transportation to buy themselves any crappy food anymore!  And better yet-Brian meets with James for the first time this week-we are truly going to do this together!
We will be skipping the Weston Irish Fest this year (oh, the blasphemy!)  But it will be too soon for us to be tempted by the wonderful Irish food and even smoother Smithwicks!
And the Williams' are upset we can't get together and have hot wings-soon, I promise, soon-like in 5 months!
And Aaron was at my house today drinking my beer-go ahead baby-drink it all!

I said I'll be frank, and frank I'll be, if you promise to follow me on this journey, cheer me when I do well, cry when I cry, encourage me when I'm feeling tempted, and keep your negative thoughts to yourself. 

I have no room for negativity

and remember

I haven't had a Coke in a loooong time......

No comments:

Post a Comment