Friday, July 26, 2013

And we have a date....

We are heading to Boston to fix the bald kid's heart at the end of August. 

Finally

I'm ecstatic, sick, thrilled, nervous and hopeful all wrapped up in one. 

We have a cardiac work-up 6-8 hour day on Friday August 30th where we will meet Ethan's surgeon Dr Christopher Baird, and his Cardiologist Dr Gerald Marx. He will also get a chest X-ray, EKG and bloodwork that day. He will be an outpatient for all of this. 
Then we have Labor Day Weekend to spend exploring Boston before another big day; Tuesday September 3rd.   On that day he will get an hour long echocardiogram, hour long cardiac MRI and then a cardiac catheterization, all under anesthesia. Probably a 12 hour day from start to finish, and they may admit him, or they may not.  After all of the tests and procedures we will review the results and possible surgical intervention needed with a surgery day set for the very next day September 4th. 
Yep, that quick. 

Fortunately, Ethan has been cleared to fly commercially!!  That is a huge relief for us not having to trek halfway across the country on a lovely 24 hour drive.  Don't get me wrong-I'm still a nervous wreck about flying with him, so our very own pediatric RN with cardiac ICU experience is going to accompany us out for the weekend!  Have I mentioned lately how wonderful my person is??
Brian can't join us until Tuesday, and will be able to stay until Friday. He has some off-duty jobs he already has scheduled to work which will help make up for my lack of a paycheck while out there!  
So, if you're in town on Labor Day Weekend-go see my hard-working, devoted hubs at the KC Irish Fest at Crown Center. 
 And Miss Gayla and Mike-be sure and do an Irish car bomb in the bald kid's name-believe me, I wish I was going to be there to do one with you-but we will surely be celebrating a successful surgery in Oct at the Weston Irish Fest-and I will do one with you then!!!

My little sis Kate is flying out with Brian for those days too, for some extra support. And my big sis Kim is thinking she will join us at some time too. I'm so lucky to have such fabulous family!  

Right now we are working on the logistics of lodging while Ethan is an outpatient-as the East Coast version of inexpensive hotels is a Best Western at $169 a night-with the hospital patient discount. 
I'm sorry, I'm from the Midwest and surely I heard you wrong?!?!?  Must have been the accent??
Needless to say, we are exploring other options. Once he's admitted I will be staying in the hospital with him anyway since he's kind of complicated and I'm gonna have to break in a whole new crew to the ways of the bald kid!  

We can't express how thankful we are to all of the people in our lives who have been so supportive with this journey. I know it seems damn near impossible for one family to have this much crappy luck. But hey, what can I say?  We live life on the edge. If it wasn't for our blood family, our family in blue, my hospital peeps, and the amazing friends we have, I'm not sure we could pull this off. Not just the financial support and re-posting the raffles, and generous donations-many of you anonymously- who have brought me to tears-but the love you have shown for our special boy. 

We think he's pretty awesome, and are humbled he has touched so many people in his life, bringing out such kindness!  

Thank you, thank you, thank. you. 

Update on the raffles:
Still selling tix for the Taylor Swift concert 5 ticket pack-will sell until we draw Wednesday July 31st. Concert is Saturday Aug 3rd. 
1/$10 and 3/$25

Also just in;
Paradise Pointe Golf Complex in Smithville has donated TWO gift certificates for us to raffle.
Each one is for 4 golfers and 2 carts for either course-The Outlaw or The Posse for use anytime before 12/01/13. Retail value of each is $184
Lots of time left to golf!!
Tix are also 1/$10 and 3/$25
We will draw the winners on August 8th!


Until our little bald guy is well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment