Friday, November 29, 2013

Thankful

As most people in the normal world are relishing the next two days off before going back to work, my work week is just beginning. But that's ok, because we've had a pretty darn good Thanksgiving this year.  And I need to go to work to avoid eating the rest of the pumpkin pie and strawberry pretzel dessert in the house. 

This holiday was low key. Just me and the kids, my mom and John, and sister Kate and niece Abby came over for turkey and fixings.  Personally, I could have gone for some authentic Mexican food and avoided the turkey and potatoes all together, but I'm a sucker for tradition. And tradition calls for turkey.   
And football. And movies with the kids.  
A special shout out to my hubs and all the Police, Fire and Healthcare personnel who worked and missed the day with their families. Fortunately Brian was able to come home and eat with us during his shift!  
This year I started something I would like to become a tradition for our family.  Tonight we prepared and served a meal to the families at the Longfellow House, one of the Ronlad McDonald Houses that serves the families of patients at Children's Mercy.
 I have never been a Black Friday shopper. I like to browse when I shop and don't really like crowds of people when I'm doing so. I don't begrudge anyone who is a gung-ho shopper. Some of my best friends have perfected the art of conquering the biggest shopping day of the year. Just not me.  
And after all of the good things and awesome gifts bestowed upon our family this year, I really wanted to pay it forward.  So the kids and I, Hailey's sweet friend Carly, my Mom, my Dad and Teresa, my sister Kate and niece Abby and two of Kate's lovely firefighter friends; Kelsey and Marie, joined us in doing just that.  And though my other sister Kim and her family couldn't join us, they helped contribute.
I'm so grateful to have the family I do that was willing to do this with me.  A special thanks to all of them!   
 
The families raved about the cheeseburgers-I know it was the good, small farm grown beef from the 1/2 cow we just got from a friend whose dad is a farmer. 
And the baked beans my mom made were a huge hit, one family almost took the whole roaster!
They were very thankful for the salad and fruit tray, as I know how hard it is to eat healthy when you're stressed out with a kid in the hospital.  And how easy not to. 
It wasn't much, a few hours out of our day and a few dollars out of our pockets. But the feeling of being able to provide a nutritious meal to a parent worried about a sick kid, let alone the financial burden of it, was priceless. 
To have the big brother of a little guy come tell us "thank you for making us hamburgers. Cause I really love hamburgers and those were the best ever!"  As he and his sisters and Dad grabbed a bite to eat while Mom sat watch over their ill sibling. 
To know exactly how all those parents feel and to be thankful for the folks who provided me a meal while I was in that position. 
To instill in my children the importance of giving back and volunteering. 

How better a way to spend Thanksgiving? 
Everyone who helped wants to do it again, so my sister and I are going to start a monthly meal service to the house. We will pick a set day every month, and if you are interested and want to help, the more the merrier. Look for info on my FB page or Ethan's World FB page soon!  

Because after all, if it weren't for that special little bald guy, I wouldn't be able to begin to understand what some of these families go through.  And I've said so often, and truly believe, we were given that boy for a reason, and to have some of the most amazing people enter our lives because of him has been the biggest blessing of all. 
So aside from the usual thankfulness for my job, my continued cancer-free health, my hard-working including-40-hours-off-duty-during-a-holiday-week hubby, my amazing two older kids, my family-near  and far, and all of the wonderful friends we have in our lives, I am this year most thankful for another year with the bald kid. 
Thankful for everyone instrumental in getting us to Boston.  
To find a place that gave us hope and options when we had none.  
Thankful to have brought him home from Boston with a fixed heart. 
Thankful to tuck him in bed each night with his light up dog and Taylor Swift CD. 
Thankful to be able to smother his bald head with kisses any time I want to. 

Thankful to be that little bald guy's mom. 


Kelsey, Marie and Kate. With Hailey and Carly photobombing


Kelsey loving on Ethan-and him totally milking it!!




Parker making the burgers 


Hailey and Carly making the desserts


Mom and Abby's turn at the burger making



Grandpa and Ethan 


The gang in the big rocker 



No comments:

Post a Comment