Thursday, March 1, 2012

Let's do this!

Tomorrow is the big day.  I'm getting ready for bed, gonna shower with my Hibiclens, shave, paint my toenails(don't kid yourself-you all did this before babies, surgery, etc.) pry off the toe ring I've had on for 12 years and the diamond studs from my kids that stay in my ears always and forever, put away my wedding ring and the necklace of my husband's badge that is never not around my neck, then climb into bed with my husband-and probably not be able to sleep. 

But wait-it's too early to go to bed at 10pm,  I get to eat and drink until midnight, and I am NOT giving up a big glass of tea at 11:59pm cause I know I'm gonna wake up terribly thirsty in the morning.  Or at 3am, and because I know I can't have anything to drink, I'll be parched!

We stayed busy today though, and I only slept for 5 hours after I got off work this morning, so sleep should come pretty easy.

My appointment with Dr Sheehan was filled with wonderful news-my BRCA gene testing is negative!  Rock on!  This is great, fantastic, fabulous news.  BRCA1 and BRCA2 are the genes that if carry a mutation can 'pre-dispose' a person to breast, ovarian and sometimes even colon cancer.  So what that basically means since mine was negative is that I'm just one of the lucky ones who got breast cancer by random selection of suckiness-not because of some mutant gene.  (it really means a lot more than that-but abridged version for now)  There is still some research to do on it as far as my Mom is concerned-as she could be a carrier-but we know that even if she is, I didn't inherit the gene, therefore neither will Hailey!  Can I get a whoo-hoo here??? WHOO-HOO!!

I want to again thank all the wonderful people in my life, the gifts and cards have been showing up on my doorstep and in my mailbox all week.  They are amazing and each one is very special to me.  The words written to me make my heart warm, it's hard for me to swallow as I read each facebook post, card and email-are those nice things they are saying really about me??  I am blessed, blessed, blessed, and very humbled. 

I have to arrive at the hospital at 10:15 for a surgery time of 1:15pm.  My crazy, dear friend Shannon that I work with and one of my Radiologists explained to me how the Sentinel Node Biospy takes place-kinda weird-will explain later.  And the Radiologist who did my initial biopsy-Dr Feiock has agreed to do it since he and my boob already have a rapport going.  And like one of the other Rads said-'they all don't need to see my titties'!!   Then I'm gonna happily take my sleepy drugs and off we will go!  (and off they will go!)

Brian or my Mom or my friends Andrea or Carissa will update on fb-but just the basics-in surgery, done, doing well, in recovery, etc.  Since I will be out of it for a while, there will be no other info other than that shared until I wake up and hear it myself.   Once I have processed it, I will share it with all of you myself, and in my own words.  Thank you for respecting and understanding that.
Someone will also post where my room is, and you are welcome to come visit-however I will warn you that I really, really like anesthesia and last time called my husband 'Brindy' afterwards and fell asleep sitting up straight with a hot tea in my hand....but feel free to come by.

However, if you're one of those who thinks you might look at me and cry-stay home.  I know myself very well, and in knowing that, I know the hardest thing for me is going to be taking the first look at  my chest after surgery.  I am tearing up right now writing about it.  So, if you are one of those people-and I know some of you are-I love you, I respect you, and I think no less of you-just don't come up to my room and look at me with pity and cry.  Email me. 

and you bitches in CT-chocolate shake.  Seasons.  that's all I'm sayin.

k

4 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow. You will be in my thoughts and prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I will see you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bitch in specials can supply those shakes too. Just say the word. I have a special gift for you tomorrow from the radiologist. We have such great doctors that I think they would just about do anything for you.

    No tears from me tomorrow. I will try to keep ya from laughing too but no promises. I love you. You are absolutely by far the strongest person I know, and when you can't be I'm gonna be there to kick your ass and keep you fighting. I'm scared for you, I'm proud of you, I love you and as the all great and mighty Shrek has said (lol) "winter spring summer or falllll, all ya got to do is calllll, and I'll be there. " that's to you from the great and powerful Sparkle Cook. I hope you are asleep right now, but if not get your ass in bed. I will see you tomorrow. You fight more than like a girl...you fight like a "crystal meth tweeker and cancer will be shit outta luck." love you. Carissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari~sending special thoughts and prayers your way today! You are an amazing person and such a fighter, definitely an inspiration to me! If you need anything have Brian (or Carissa) call or facebook me!!!! Help with kiddos, hugs, transportation, etc....I'm there.
    Love you friend!
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete