Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I love my people

For those Grey's Anatomy fans out there-you will understand what this title means.
Christina is Mer's 'person'
Owen wants to be Christina's 'person'
Derek knows Mer is Christina's 'person'

I'm blessed and lucky that I don't just have a 'person', I have 'people'.  Lots of 'people'. 
And they are pretty ahhhhmazing!

GNO BBB was last Saturday, or otherwise known as Girl's Night Out Bye-Bye Boobies.
Party bus rented.
Houlihan's reserved.
Tables at Tanner's saved so we could dance to the Cherry Bombs Band.
30+ amazing women showed up to help celebrate me starting this journey of kicking this cancer's ass.
A night I needed.  And not just me, my friends needed it too.  My family needed it.
So many of these women I haven't seen in person since news of my diagnosis-and so many of them didn't know what to say, or how to say it.  Well, they all said it fabulously.  I am surrounded by people who love and support me, and will help me through this. 

A night of laughter, pictures, dancing, drinks, more dancing, shots, hugs, lots of hugs, and even some tears.  No doubt I wouldn't make it through the night without a tear or two.
And the thoughtful gifts-3 months of housecleaning, gas gift card, Jimmy John's gift card (tuna on wheat please-with the sprouts), pink jammies, slippers and pink fuzzy socks, a gorgeous pink bag filled with goodies like fingernail bling, and playing cards and hand lotion-and  embroidered with the word "strength" on it, a pedicure with an awesome pink color, oh, and pink boxing gloves! 
The offers of help at every turn-of which I promise I will let people help!!   Pinky swear!!

A special thanks to Andrea Phillips and Michala Stoker for setting it up-I love you girls!!!
And for all of you who attended-I love you all so much, and am blessed to call you my friends-and family!  New and old-it means the world to me that you came to support me. 
Oh, and did I mention I went home with $147 in cash in my jeans pocket?  Amazing how many dudes will shell out $20 to cop a feel on a chick about to lose both breasts.  Hey, I can live with that!  No ramen noodles in my house this week!

some pretty fabulous women in this picture!!!

The surgery day is getting close-Friday morning is not too far off.  The reality of everything is beginning to settle in.  Though oddly enough, most would expect to be anxious, nervous, scared, unsure.  And though I am all of those, I am mostly calm.   Ready to get this started.  To get this done, to put this bump in the road of my crazy life behind me. 
I opened a letter from my insurance company on Saturday morning.  An approval letter for my prophylactic left mastectomy.  Those black typed words brought me to my knees.  The tears streamed down my face while I was driving-yes, I opened and read my mail while driving-and with kids in the car-not 'Mom of the year' type behavior I know-but nonetheless-absolutely floored me.
 To see the approval in black and white as if words on a menu, not caring, no feeling.
 Just words, just an OK, a no big deal.
Not even a 'sorry-this sucks-but hey, good for you!  We are happy to pay for your prophylactic surgery to help stop your cancer in it's tracks in your body.'
Just APPROVED.
Weird how that, of all things, made me cry.

And, like I said before, I had my hot mess crying episode.  Fortunately I was at home, in bed, with my husband-before his surgery, watching Spartacus of all things.  I think someone got their arm chopped off by a big sword, and as blood sprayed across the scene, I lost it.  The mouth breathing, pitiful, can't catch your breath sobs were out before I could stop them.  Not that I tried.  My husband informed me he had been waiting for that moment, and I'm glad he was there. 

Now the crying is done, and it's time to put on those pink boxing gloves and get warmed up.  In the words of a great friend, and my personal trainer last year-time to GET IT!!

I see Dr Sheehan at the Cancer Center on Thursday, and should have the BRCA testing back, and maybe some more information.  I will let you all know when I do. 

Thanks again for being my people. 

1 comment:

  1. You have great friends! Tears are streaming down my face as I read this! I love that they did this for you! And I definitely laughed out loud when I read that you were letting guys feel the boobs on "death row".... I was like, "did she really do that???!".... but then I had to think that you probably did ;) Gotta go crazy to keep calm, right?!

    Still love, support, prayers all that I can do from here.... but I would like to get your address sometime, since I can't find it listed anywhere in the Ch18 info.... So, message me on Facebook, or email me (you should have that right?), so that I can send this card we have for you :)

    ReplyDelete