Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy February 14!

Of course it's Valentine's Day, and everyone is getting huge, expensive flower arrangements from their  significant others professing their love is greater on this day more than any other.  Sometimes though I think it's just so your wife, girlfriends, partner, sig other, etc.,  gets bragging rights to what an awesome love they have.  Brian and I are not "flowers on Valentine's Day" kind of people. I'm not sure I have ever gotten flowers from him on any Valentine's Day.  And I'm ok with that.   Usually I get a really nice handwritten note from him, of which I've saved every one. Notes don't wilt and die, or get eaten like that big box of chocolates will. 
But I have really enjoyed seeing all the super creative Valentine boxes on FB-you can tell last week all the kids were out of school and parents needed something to do to keep them entertained!  
And I had a blast making the bald kid's minion valentines. 






And I got my valentine present earlier this week anyway.....




Yep, the big ole Suburban went bye-bye.  Last week the interior electronics all went out and only a potion of it was covered under warranty because we bought it used. Then we found out it may have been in a wreck that was never claimed because our one year old tires had worn funky on one side, and the only explanation was that the frame is bent somehow.  Could be why the alignment never held very long?!?!   I had a Honda Odyssey mini-van before and I loved it. I just didn't want to be the 'mini-van mom' since my kids were getting older, but alas, I will always have one little one with me, so mini-van it is!  Besides, this thing rocks!  It has a back up camera that has three different views, and something Kim Gunther needs; a camera on the right passenger mirror, so when turning the right blinker on, it shows everything in your right side blind spot!!  Oh, and it also has lane drift warning, so if I start to drift into another lane and I'm not signaling with the intent to get over, it will flash and beep an alarm at me. 
Thank you honey!  
Looking for a Honda?  Head to Tiffany Springs Honda and ask for Mr Bill Robinson-the nicest man ever!  Brian went to college with the dealership owner Bobby and his wife, and he hooked us up with Mr Bill.   A very painless car buying experience!  Did I mention we got Hailey a new civic too?  Happy Valentine's Day to her too!  And Easter, and birthday and Christmas and  graduation, and etc, etc. 


February 14th also marks the end of Congenital Heart Defects Awareness week. 

  


1 in 100 kids will be born with a CHD, and our little bald guy was one of them. This journey has been tough, sad, happy, joyous, scary and rewarding all wrapped up into one.  We have seen other heart warriors lose their battle, and know too many parents who no longer have their hero on this earth with them.  We wake each day knowing it could be our last with Ethan, and are so thankful for the medical advancements that have allowed us to keep him here with us as long as we have.  Last year alone, the miracle of Boston Children's Hospital Heart Center being able to get a new valve in him without using bypass and an open heart is because of the advancements in the field of CHD's.  I only wish there was a fix for all our babies broken hearts and no parents or siblings or grandparents ever had to say goodbye to their heart warrior.  Through continued awareness this is possible! 

In honor of all our heart super heroes!


And my fellow super heart mom friends!


And finally, February 14 is my Cancerversary!  
Yep, 2 years ago it was confirmed I would be fighting breast cancer.  And though my fight will never truly be over, I am a survivor!  I am forever grateful for my family and friends and the kindness of complete strangers who helped me through my journey.  
40,000 women will die from Breast Cancer this year and every year-with awareness we can change that number.  Don't ignore symptoms, get your mammograms and encourage your loved ones to do the same.  My routine, screening mammogram saved my life!  



In honor of my Grandma Flora-I will never quit!



And the cool tattoo I'm thinking about once I'm all done with reconstruction-only pink ribbons where the red stars are. 



From flowers and chocolate hearts to real hearts and boobs, 
February 14 is a pretty special day.  


I guess I am a 'flowers on Valentine's Day' kinda girl after all; as soon as I finished this post I walked into the kitchen and saw this gorgeous potted flower from my amazing kiddos!   


And all I have to do is put 6 ice cubes in the dirt once a week to keep this beautiful flower alive!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment