Sunday, February 2, 2014

Irony? Or just our luck?


Funny, last night I post about February being a month of hearts; the chocolate kind and the broken kind. Aaaannnddd....today at work I end up in the ER because I started feeling lightheaded, diaphoretic, nauseated and my heart was racing so fast I couldn't count it myself.    Hooked up to a monitor I was tachycardiac at 212 bpm and as high as 232. 
Into the big trauma room I go.  IV started, blood pressure normal at 139/89 but couldn't get a good EKG because I was shaking. Finally, third times's a charm,  EKG shows SVT or supra ventricular tachycardia. Fix?  Ativan, Zofran, fluids and Adenosine.  Dr Maz tried a couple of non-pharmalogical interventions while Christy and Sheila-awesome RNs-were getting me ready if they didn't work. 
A little carotid massage and bearing down did bring my rate down to 140's, but not good enough. 
Out with the good stuff.  The Adenosine is administered by IV in a rapid push, and when it hits you, you feel it!  It takes your breath away and kind of 'resets' the SVT arrhythmia that was going on. I closed my eyes and tried to relax and take in a deep breath-and weirdly enough, with my eyes closed, everything inside my head was a red color.  Once the initial shock passed, and I no longer felt like my stomach was in my throat, I felt much better. My heart rate came down to low 100's, so Maz gave me a small dose of a beta blocker, then another small dose to help keep it down. It was in the high 80's, low 90's when I started feeling normal again. 

Talked to Dr Gimple, the cardiologist, and he feels with my family history of electrical heart issues; Ethan born with WPW-Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome and my younger sister Kate diagnosed with WPW in her late 20's, that my issues are simply 'in my genetics'.   And since this is the third incident of tachycardia with me in the last 3 years, we clearly need to do some further testing.  I also need to see an EP guy that specializes in the electrical workings of the heart.  
So, for today I will be resting on the couch watching some football, wearing my 24 hour holter monitor. Dr Gimple started me on a calcium channel blocker called Cardizem and once I turn in the holter tomorrow, I will make a follow up to see him or Dr Rigden later this week. 






                                            

Look familiar???



And, once again, how is it possible all this crazy shit happens to our family???
Hmmm, my husband is ready to put me out to pasture at this point. 

Heart disease is nothing to mess around with, not just in our little warriors, but adults too. 

Isn't it ironic??  

But if cancer didn't kill me, I'm not gonna let this either!  








No comments:

Post a Comment