Sunday, August 30, 2020

Covid Update Day 6


Just got my second dose of Remdesivir and steroids today. The steroids are making me a hungry, moon-faced, crackhead,  jittery for my next fix.  My oxygen was bumped up to 2 liters last night to keep me at 96-97 and it helped. I drifted off to sleep with some episodes of my newest Podcast Sword and Scale. 


Today I’m up in my chair, planning to read some when the Gunther’s drop off my Kindle. I cannot have any visitors, but items can be dropped off at the information desk and they will get it to me or I can send someone down to get for me. They told me they love getting my stuff because I have received the most beautiful flowers ever!  Today’s gorgeous arrangement of sunflowers is from my awesome cousin Laurel Trumble!  Thank you sweet girl!! 🌻🌻

I love fresh flowers and have missed not buying a weekly arrangement from the City Market. 

These sure help being alone in this place! 



In talking to the ID Doc today he’s not surprised I went up on my oxygen and we can keep going up as needed to keep me comfortable. I’m here at least until Wednesday because the regimen of Remdesivir and Dex are 5 days. Saturday 8/29 being Day 1. 

I had a 20 min coughing fit this morning upon waking, but I have not had a fever so far today!  And the coughing is really loose and rattle-y in my chest so he thinks I’m doing good to break that junk up. The hot tea and honey is helping too. I should have snuck in my honey from Kim Angle’s 🐝🐝

I put my Apple Watch on today and I’m going to be getting up every two hours to make some laps around my room. Gonna get as many steps in as I can and stay up and moving to help clear this junk out.


I’m also now signed up for a clinical trial for a Pulm drug that will start tomorrow. 

Is is a subcutaneous injection of a drug used for patients at High Risk for rapid clinical  deterioration and ARDS. 

It’s called the PB1046 Vanguard Study by Dr Leslie Spikes here at KU. 

There is no placebo drug on this trial-I will either receive a low/medium/high dose and I’m being compensated monetarily after I’m discharged!  Not too shabby-making a little green for the Covid. 

In addition to this study and the Biorepository study, I also was part of a new testing process by Abbott Laboratories making a bedside 15 min rapid version of the test that doesn’t require the use of a swab reaching your brain. 

It’s 2 nasal swabs just inside the upper/inner area of your nares. Since I’m a known positive in the KU system they run my test sample and use it to see if the rapid test is as accurate with a different swabbing method. This could change taking days for people to get results. 

I love being part of the science in helping figure out this horrible virus!  And getting gift cards for it! 

Oh, and I’ll share the latest info I’m getting here about Covid please remember it is fluid and changes almost daily-this is the current:

•Once infected (date of positive test) you can shed virus for 10 days and have been considered contagious for 48 hours prior to positive test  

•once the 10 days passes you can be out of quarantine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE HAD NO SYMPTOMS FOR 72 HOURS.  If you have symptoms up to day 10 you are still contagious-STAY QUARANTINED  

•I am automatically quarantined for 14 days minimum due to my symptoms and immunocompromised status.  If I am symptom free days 11, 12 and 13, I am safe for public on day 14.  Mine starts the day of my positive test on 8/25 and goes to September 7th.  I’m cutting it close being that all my scans are ordered for 9/8.  Let’s hope I’m clear by then.  

Tomorrow I’m going to ask my ID Doc about re-infection rates and what they are seeing there if anything so far.

I’m in the Covid Unit with all positive patients and 1 pending/presumed positive.  There are 25 of us in my area right now and more in the ICU. 

Oh, and the Gunther’s are gonna try and find the driveway they can drive up and wave to me-I’ll let y’all know if it works!  I miss all your faces!  


Love and hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment