Tuesday, February 14, 2012

And the results are in....

Invasive Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Grade 2.

Those words just sound ugly, don't they?

Ductal Carcinoma-a cancer that starts in the milk ducts of the breast. 

In Situ- means "in it's original place"

So, if you put those together, it means milk duct breast cancer still contained within the milk duct. 
Well, you'd think so.   BUT,  when you throw that word invasive in there,  it changes the whole ball game.
Invasive means just what it sounds like-invading other areas than the milk duct.

Grade 2-will have to wait for an oncologist to explain this term.  I am finding on my own that it basically means it has not spread to any other organs, but other than that not much info as to whether it is the same as 'staging'. 

This type of cancer accounts for 65-85% of all breast cancers-very common.


There were two areas biopsied, and both have the same pathology.  Though we don't know yet if it has invaded any other areas of the breast or axilla (arm pit) the potential is definitely there.

We will be meeting with Dr Failing  and an Oncologist from the Cancer Center either Wednesday of this week, or next Monday and be presented with all potential treatment options.  From my own research,  it looks like the typical course is surgery-whether lumectomy or mastectomy, chemo, hormone therapy based upon hormone receptors this cancer may respond to, and radiation therapy.  Any/all combinations of those mentioned are possible options.

I'm at a slight loss for words here-who ever whoulda thunk that about me???  But honestly, I have been googling myself insane looking for doctor's names here in KC that specialize in breast cancer treatment and am having a hard time finding someone that jumps right out at me.  I am going to hit up my personal doc and my ob/gyn for suggestions, as well as the fabulous Rads I work for.
 Where would you take your wife?   Cause that's where I want to go. 

Otherwise, I am doing well.  I still feel perfectly fine, other than a yellowing, green, black and blue bruised up boob that still hurts a little.   I threw myself a little pity party this weekend, complete with gummy bears, Coke, Twizzlers, Hershey kisses, and lots of snuggles from the bald kid.  Still no hot mess crying episode-I'm sure that will happen when I least expect it-like in line at the grocery store, complete with splotchy red face and running nose.   Ought to be a sight when that does happen! 
We are approaching this like we do everything-It is what it is.  Doesn't mean I won't get mad, cry, yell or throw stuff.  But in the meantime I am going to be researching diet and at least get to walking every day.  A clear mind has got to help, and working out always helps clear my mind!

The kids are taking it very well-they have had so much crap hurled at them for so long, it really is just one more thing to deal with.  But seriously-my kids are wise beyond their years, and I long for that youthful innocence for them most kids have and take for granted.  It's just not fair.  But, hey, neither is life, and what doesn't kill you....

Ethan was diagnosed with pneumonia and pulmonary edema last week. We talked them out of admitting him and instead got them to let us take him home with a dose of steroids, antibiotics, more albuterol and the promise we know how to get him back to Mercy if he needed to go in!  He perked up over the weekend, and I'm glad-cause he was wearing me out at home last week!

Brian is scheduled to have surgery on his shoulder next week-we will see what this week brings for us and go from there.  If they want to move as quickly with me as we have done so far, I may be the one on the operating table.

Hailey has a big volleyball tournament this weekend-200+ teams at Bartle Hall!  That will be fun and mind occupying for me!   Parker will have a basketball game on Saturday-his last one was their best by far-only lost by 6 points! 

Please don't be afraid to call us, text us, email us, whatever.  I know you don't know what to say.  Hell, I don't know what to say!  But your voice and words of support will help all of us through this!  I have always said we have fabulous family and friends, well, we are probably going to need you all now more than ever.  And though we are famous for not asking people for help-I'm sure we will need to, and I promise we will! 

Have a very Happy Valentine's Day!  Tell the special people in your life what they mean to you and hug them extra long today.   And I have not been very good at bringing about awareness to Congenital Heart Defects this month.  But 1 in 100 kids are born with a CHD,  and too many don't live to their 2nd birthday.  We are blessed and lucky to still have the bald kid in our lives, as so many parents I know are celebrating this day day with bittersweet memories of a child lost too soon. 

I will update more as we know it.  In the meantime I need to find some pink boxing gloves and get to kicking some cancer ass....

love and hugs,
K

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Kari! And speaking of pink boxing gloves...I go to Title Boxing Club in Liberty, and my gloves are most certainly pink. Come hit a heavy bag one day, I guarantee it will take your mind off things for at least that hour. I know you're a strong lady! Lots of positive thoughts and energy coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Kick some cancer ass, mmmkay?!! I will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari! My name is Jessica and I don't personally know you; however, Sara Easley is a mutual friend on Facebook, which is how I came across your blog. This news is understandably hard to swallow but you seem like such a strong woman. Wishing you the best and sending lots and lots of positive thoughts your way<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....Kari. I just don't know what to say. I haven't stayed in touch over the years but your blog says it all. You are a women of STRENGTH!!! I can tell that you have it in you to fight this. I will be thinking of you & your family as you get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari- You are an amaazing woman who can triumph over anything including this. I am getting ahold of a gal I went to college with who lives here locally. She recently went thru much of this and is strong just like you. I would love for you to be able to reach out to her for guidance, feedback or whatever you need. Like you know with lil man, sometimes being able to network with others is a great help in the medical world. I will let you know when I get her okay before I give out her info to you, and let me know if you even want it.


    Marissa B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kari. Try to see Carol Fabian at KU. If you need help getting I might be able to help

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are getting some answers, albeit nasty ones! But at least it's getting you somewhere to get a plan in order. Your attitude never ceases to astound me! I surely would be crumbling if I were you.... YOU. ARE. Amazing!!! So much love coming your way, and of course lots and loads of prayers! May I send you a pair of pink boxing gloves??

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family, Kari! I am so teary reading this as you are such an amazing woman through all the ups & downs life deals us!! And...if anyone can kick cancer to the curb - it would most definitely be YOU my friend!!! Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete