Thursday, February 9, 2012

Only the nice people get cancer......

Those of you who know me know I'm pretty candid and straight forward about stuff-so I won't be any other way this time.  If you follow me on FB, then I'm sure you are wondering what my latest post meant regarding the crummy weather in our house. 

Well, like I have said for years-if the Rawley's didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all-and this time is no different.  I found out on Weds this week during a normal, yearly, run of the mill, annual appointment for my boob squeeze that I have a 9mm mass in my right breast. 
Mass? You ask, yep, fuzzy borders on mammo and ultrasound, taller than wide, not there on last mamm, calcifications within, not cystic, mass.

Yep.  a mass.

Mass is really a bad word-it should more accurately be called a gut wrenching- life threatening- tear jerking- question everything you ever knew to be right in the world reality check.   Cause all that and more goes through your head when you see the Radiologist circled (in bright red ink, no less)
#5.  Highly suspicious for breast cancer.  Biopsy needed.

Cancer?  Only nice people get cancer.  Come on, we say it all the time in healthcare-we scan a 'nice patient'-kind, clean, uses their manners, thanks us, is humble, we just know they are a nice person.  That's the person who gets cancer-not me, not the evil, mean, bitchy person I am.  I am not a 'nice person'.  Doesn't cancer know I'm a bitch????

Long, long, long story short-Dr Malley at Imaging for Women and all the staff I encountered there were fabulous.  Kind, gentle, honest.  Yet still couldn't hardly look me in the eye when I left with my films, numb, trying to fight back the tears with smiles and thank you's. 

Biopsy needed.  This week said Dr. Malley.  Sooner than later. Use your resources at the hospital.

I went to work last night and took my films with me.  One of my favorite Rads was working-and I wanted his opinion. I trust him, and it was exactly what I already knew. 
Biopsy needed.  Soon.  Can probably do under sono.  So Sorry you're dealing with this.  Let me know if I can help expedite anything. 

Brian and I met with Surgeon Dr Failing today.  Nice man, no BS, cut to the chase, honest and straightforward like I like. 
It's cancer.  I have pretty much no doubt.  Let's get this out and move forward quickly. 
Is tomorrow quick enough?  Yep-unless you can do it right now.
Anything smaller than 2cm is considered 'small'. 
Yours is half that. 
It's a really early catch. 
Cancers this small have a 90% cure rate.

Sono guided biopsy for me on Friday Feb 10th. 
The Rad will numb it, put a needle in it, take out a few samples, put a titanium clip in, do another mammo, send to pathology, wait.

Wait.  A word kind of like Mass.

Have I thought about a course of treatment?  Do you know me?  Of course I have.

1.  BRCA gene testing-I have a family history of breast cancer.  I want to know if I carry the gene.  Some people don't.  I do.  Knowledge is power.  This is the power I want for my daughter, my sisters, my female cousins. Need a little light reading about this:  http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

2.  Positive BRCA gene?  Bilateral mastectomy, hysterectomy.  I can't afford to have something come back in 5, 10, 15 years.  I have a husband and kids and one of which is totally dependent on ME.  Get it all out now.

3.   Kick this cancer's ass. 

cause cancer may not have known I was a bitch before.  but it sure will now.

8 comments:

  1. You kick that cancer's ass and you do it good! You hear me?! Boy this just sucks.... hard! I'm so sorry :( Don't know what else to say... other than a boob is just a boob... if you have to loose it only your husband will suffer ;) Love you! Thinking of you all! You are of course in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God must know better than all of us of what a tough, amazing woman you are! You will kick the tar out of this and show all that whine about their "problems" that life is what you make it! YOU, sweet lady, show all of us that you are made of steel and that you are a true rock star! Praying for you and your family. Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here, I love you. You need me, I'm there...always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Kari!! I have no doubt you will tackle this head on like you do with all that comes your way. I know many, many breast cancer survivors...and I am about to know 1 more! Prayers and hugs sent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She got it young, like you. Eleven years later, she is doing fabulous. You will beat this. I am so sorry you have to go through this, and how many times can I say that I wish I were close to you? I feel helpless. Please know I'm thinking, praying, and getting angry with you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kari-
    You are truly one of the strongest "bitches" I know, so I have no doubt you can beat anything that comes your way. Thinking of you and hoping for the very best!

    Jamie Bolen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many prayers coming your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kari, my thoughts & prayer go out to you & your family! You're one tough cookie (to put it very mild), so I know you'll tackle this!! Love & Prayers, Heidi Hiebert

    ReplyDelete