Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Admitted

And this time it's not the bald kid, it's me.  Cause if it's not one thing with us, it's another...

Long story short, went to work Tuesday night, feeling fine and within 2 hours was in the ER.  Out of the blue my heart started racing and by monitor it was 180-200, and my blood pressure was 157/100. The pressure I started feeling on my chest finally sent me to the ER, that and my co-workers coaxing.
 By then my heart rate had come down to the 130's, but I felt like I couldn't catch my breath.  

Most of my lab work was normal-my magnesium and potassium were low which lead them to believe I was dehydrated. But after 2 bags of fluid, mag and potassium(huge pills by the way-can't believe I choked them down) and two trips to the potty, my heart rate would shoot up to 130 once I changed position from sitting in bed to walking.   My d-dimer was slightly elevated, which can indicate a clot or pulmonary embolus, so I got a CT of my chest too. It was negative for a clot, but showed some atelectasis-or poorly inflated areas of my lung. Which sounds way worse than it is, but enough to warrant some breathing treatments and my own personal spirometer.

So, anywho... I'm chilling out in 1099.1 waiting to see what's in store for me when the attendings arrive-probably an echo. We have a history of Wolf Parkinson White, an electrical heart issue, in our family-Ethan and my sister Kate, so I will be looked at closely for the same type of problem.

Thanks to all the wonderful ER staff who took care of me, and one of my fave ER docs, Dr George.  Thanks to my X-ray peeps for my CT scan and covering my shift and making me laugh. And my sleep deprived husband for sitting by my side, and my other husband Aaron for bringing me some stuff from home.   Love you all!

I'm gonna get some sleep now that lab is done before the day shift rolls in.  Will keep you updated!

1 comment:

  1. It's always something, huh? I hope they figure it out and it's nothing serious!!

    ReplyDelete