Friday, November 9, 2012

Happy Rad Tech Week!



Happy Radiologic Technologist Week to my fellow co-workers and friends!  The pic above shows basically what I do all night.  Though many times it involves straps, lots of tape and often repeating myself over and over again.  A lot like Motherhood. 
I get to see some pretty cool stuff in my job, and having done it for as long as I have-egads-20 years next July-nothing and I repeat NOTHING surprises me.  Ok, almost nothing.

The x-ray below is of a child who ate magnets. Lots of them.  For the record and HIPPA and everyone I know who reads my blog and is freaking out right now-I found this image on Google.
However, having spent 8 years at Children's Mercy-I took a few of these x-rays.   And if you ever want me to tell you how to remove a coin from a child's throat with a foley cath and fluoro, just ask.  If  I've done one coin removal, I've done a bajillion.



 
 
The above pic is a CT Scan of a brain.  An angry one.  That big white thing-a-ma-jig is a bleed in said person's brain.  Again-Google.  This is what I mostly do. 
 Not find bleeds thank goodness-but produce beautiful CT scans of brains. 
And yes, everyone has one, and no, not everyone uses theirs.
 
I thought I would post an X-Ray Top 10 List in honor of my beloved profession, but am having a really hard time with what to call my list. 
 
Top 10 X-Ray Tech Pet Peeves?
Top 10 Dumbest Things an X-Ray Tech Has Ever Heard?
 
But my list requires many more than 10, so I'm just calling it:
 
A Day in the Life of an X-Ray Tech:
 
1.  No, your other left.
 
2.  No, it doesn't taste bad.
 
3.  Yes, I'm going to put that tube in there.
 
4.  No, I can't do a CT Angio with a 22g. 
In the toe.
 
5.  No, there are no cats in here.
 
6.  No, you will not glow in the dark.  Nor will your pee.
 
7.  Yes, your colon will hold ALL of that Barium.
 
8.  Yes, please leave your shoes on while on the table. 
 
9.  I'm sure glad you decided to come in tonight for that headache of 3 years.
 
10.  The gown opens in the back, yes, but it does tie.
 
11.  No, you did not pee on yourself.
 
12.  Yep, that's gonna leave a scar.
 
13.  Yes, undressing means your jeans too.
 
14.  Kinda looks like chocolate milk.
 
15.  Believe me, we do this all day long.
 
16.  I don't read the pictures, I only take them.
 
and my very favorite...
 
drumroll please....
 
I'm a Radiologic Technologist
 
Not a Technician
 
I don't do nails
 
 
I have had the honor to work with some pretty fabulous folks, and X-Ray people are a species all their own.  They know how to work hard, party hard and get the job done.  So if you are a fellow tech pat yourself on the back today from me, and if you know one-tell them how awesome they are. 
 
 For without us....
 
You couldn't be open to trauma.
 
Enough said.
 
 
Love you Rad Techs! 
*and miss you Kristin Saragusa
 
 
Now for some quick Rawley Family updates:
Halloween was fabulous
The bald  kid was Elliot from ET!
 
Brian and I went to the Radiology Halloween Costume party
 

As the Powder Puff Girls and Mojo Jo Jo
 
And remember how I mentioned X-Ray Techs know how to party?  Well, the Radiologists know how to throw a rager, and didn't let us down this year either!  There was a lot of time traveling going on that night, and at least I'm not the only one who can't remember all of it. 
At least I have an excuse.
 I have cancer.
But at least I didn't throw up in my boot.
 
 
Next year, no shots.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment