Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving and Chemo #2 done!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Today was a great day spent with family and friends and delicious food.
Thanks to my sister Kim for hosting at her house, all I had to bring was the ham (courtesy of Em Chamas-the best) cheesy potatoes and sangrias! I was able to eat a plateful and then promptly took a nap.
Chemo #2 was yesterday and we tweaked a few things with my medicines in hopes that I will have less days of feeling completely crappy this time. Though the effects are cumulative, there are still some wonderful drugs out there to help minimize side effects. My counts were all good except my white count was markedly elevated. It was up to 22.8 on a normal scale of 11 being the high end of normal. So they suspect one of two things: my bone marrow jumped in to overdrive from memory of my chemo years ago and started rapidly producing white blood cells in response to the chemo. OR the more likely that I was exposed to something in the last few days and my body is trying to fight it. Hopefully the latter is not the case because now my counts will take a huge hit and if I’m already sick I would likely end up in the hospital if I spike a fever. Prayers for the first one and my white blood cells are just gearing up for battle!

Hailey was home to join me and my friend Heather too-it helps pass the hours with laughs. They did put us in a private room once they saw my company....does that tell you how well they know me or what!?!? Scheduling at the cancer center is still working on getting my PET scan approved so we can see if this spot in my t-spine is metastatic or not. They at least asked for some more info to re-evaluate so maybe we are getting somewhere. I’m trying to be patient and I know we don’t need the answer today or tomorrow or even next month. But I would really like to know since it can alter my surgical course if it truly is a met.


Planning to work tomorrow so I’m hitting my bed real soon. But not before I eat a piece of pumpkin pie....

Every day is a gift and a blessing and I hope your Thanksgiving was spent with those you love. In our daily routines it’s easy to take the days for granted and that you’ll always have tomorrow. In fact, we never know what tomorrow holds so live each day like it’s your last and never forget to say I love you, and always eat dessert.
Please remember our first responders, healthcare workers, Police and Firefighters working today. (And with a full moon no less....) and for our military serving and protecting us, most so far away from home and their families.

Lastly-so many thanks to all of you for your support and love. The meals, the cards, the gifts, the donations. It eases my worried mind having you all in my corner.
The Go Fund Me for my sis Katie to shave her head is officially only $975 from the goal!!! We had some check donations come in this week that have pushed us closer. And Monday morning we have a TV interview with McKenzie Nelson from channel 41. (I’ll let you know when to watch for the airing) She did a spot on us last year about our affiliation with the Cure of Ars Gift Gallery and I want people to know how truly wonderful my sister, her co-workers with the KCFD and our community have rallied around us. It was Katie’s idea to do this and I want to recognize her for such a selfless act. It may not seem like much-but ask 10 women if they would cut their hair off for you and I’ll bet you get 9.75 firm No’s. And a huge thanks to all who have been putting together the event for the Not today Cancer head shaving on Dec 5th-my sisters and my mom and step mom and high school friend Tracy have all pitched in.
We have so many awesome raffle prizes and a dozen sports related memorabilia that will be silent auction pieces! Be sure and join us.
Wednesday Dec 5th 6-9 Pm
No. 9 Saloon on N. Oak in Gladstone, MO.
$1 tacos and kids welcome!
Raffle tickets can be bought there that night and we will be pulling the first prize right before the head shaving and continue until the main item of the Mahomes signed jersey and Salvy bat are pulled last! Need not be present to win. We will also start pulling our silent auction winners at 8:30pm.

Thanks again, that pie is calling my name and so is Ethan now apparently ready for bed. He has had an ear infection for a month now we can’t get cleared up so a trip to the ENT is in store real soon since his pediatrician has seen him twice and the antibiotics don’t seem to be doing the trick. Bedtime is the worst when he has to lie flat so there’s a lot of coddling and positioning just right and of course Minions and King Julien....

Oh, and watch for info on my hubs 50th birthday party on Saturday Dec 15th. Getting all the plans squared away this weekend I hope and will post soon! We’d love to have you join us to celebrate! And this year with his newly found family too - so blessed to have them all in our lives!

Love, hugs and prayers
K

1 comment: